10 Things You Need to Know about Canada’s South Asian Market
South Asian Canadians are an exciting new demographic being targeted by many of Canada’s biggest companies and corporations. Why is this the case? Primarily, it’s because of the youth and spending power associated with this market. Canadians of South Asian decent are a $46 billion dollar market, according to marketing firm Environics. To help you understand more about, here are 10 insightful facts about why South Asians are receiving so much attention from Canada’s savviest marketers:
10) South Asians make up the largest ethnic group in Canada.
9) Canadian South Asians have money—the average household income for South Asians is $86,320, 4% above the mainstream Canadian population.
8) They are Canada’s fastest growing ethnic group.
7) The five largest South Asian groups in Canada are Indians, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, Bangladeshis, and Nepalese.
6) The largest concentration of Indo Canadians exist in two cities—Toronto and Vancouver.
5) 49% of the community is under 20 years old.
4) 63% of Canadian South Asian households have three or more members—while a whopping 11% has over 6 members.
3) 95% have a full understanding of English in addition to South Asian languages.
2) According to a 2006 study conducted by Statistics Canada, South Asian Canadians will grow to between 3.1 and 4.1 million by 2031, or 8.1% to 9.2% of the overall Canadian population.
1) According the Canada 2011 Census, the population breakdown of South Asians in British Columbia is:
We’re here to help you navigate and understand the nuances and intricacies of marketing to the South Asians living in Canada.Check back for more information every week!
Sources: Sources: Stats Canada, Environics Analytics Multicultural.com, MulticulturalRetail360.com, Nielsen, SAALT.org